Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Simple Fruit Soup

My mother has brought us over some strawberries and blue berries, so I bought some black berries and made this soup. I was great light and refreshing.

Simple Fruit Soup
(Central/Eastern Europe)

Makes: 4 servings
Time: 20 minutes plus chilling time

1 qt. blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, huckleberries or a combination, picked over and trimmed as necessary, washed and, if necessary, sliced
½ c. sugar (plus more if needed)
1 lemon, washed and thinly sliced
1 t. ground cinnamon (plus more if needed)
1 c. yogurt or sour cream (plus more for garnish)

1. Combine the berries, sugar, lemon, cinnamon and 1 quart water in a medium saucepan, and turn the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the blueberries fall apart, 10-15 minutes.

2. Cool the mixture at least until tepid to avoid burning yourself, the puree in a blender. Taste and add more sugar or cinnamon if necessary. Chill, then stir in the yogurt. Serve cold. Garnish with more yogurt.

Rating:
Veronica 6
Jason 7.3

4 comments:

  1. why the mid-range rating? Was the soup too sweet? I wonder if you could make it without having to cook it, but instead pureeing it entirely? Also - have you tried the Greek Style yogurts like Total Fage, Oikos or Chobani? They are thicker and tangier than conventional yogurt - with a variety of fat content, full, 2%, 5% and non-fat. Expensive but worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It almost sounds like a smoothie. I wonder if you couldn't freeze a batch, throw it in the blender later and have yummy, yummy smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm giving this a 7.3. Veronica guessed at what I would rate this and guessed wrong. Its pretty good. I think I might rather just eat blueberries, strawberries and blackberries... but it's an interesting change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me I think i will try Denine's idea next time, and use a greek style yogurt to combat the sweetness.

    ReplyDelete