Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cabbage and Potato Soup

This past weekend Jason and I had indoor BBQ and I made myself some crispy kale. Having no idea what to do with the left over kale I turned to "the book". I found this recipe and thought I could use a few different ingredients. BOY oh BOY this is good! I used a 1/2 lb. of smoky chicken sausage instead of bacon, kale not cabbage, and two cups pork stock (homemade) and six cups beef stock (store bought). Instead of the caraway seeds I used rosemary.


Cabbage and Potato Soup
(Poland)

Makes: 4 servings
Time: 35 minutes

2 thick slices bacon, diced, optional
1 medium onion, diced
1 small head of cabbage, preferably Savory, cored and shredded
1 tablespoon caraway seeds, lightly crushed
2 medium large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
6 cups beef, chicken, or vegetable stock, preferably homemade
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 cup of croutons

1. cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring, occasionally, until some of the fat is rendered, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook- or cook the onion in 2 tablespoons butter or oil (I used butter) if you are not using bacon (I used chicken sausage)-stirring until onions are translucent, about 4 minutes.

2. Add the caraway seed and potatoes and lightly brown the potatoes, about 5 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender. Thin with a bit of water or stock if the soup seems too rich. Garnish with the croutons and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment