Friday, August 14, 2009

Ginger Tea

Jason made this FANTASTIC ginger ice cream, but what to do with the left over ginger? I found this ginger tea recipe, so I decided to try it. Wow! It was great! When I was in Chicago there was a tea shop that had a ginger tea zinger which I drank everyday. I have not found a tea that good in Philly until last night. I made it with half the sugar and half splenda again, because I wanted to save on the calories. I tell you if you love ginger you will love this!

Salabat (Ginger Tea)
(Southeast Asia)

Makes: 4 servings
Time: 15 minutes

1/2 cup fresh ginger, rinsed, chopped or sliced (don't bother to peel)
1/2 cup brown sugar

1. In a small saucepan, combine the ginger and 1 quart water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Strain, the add the sugar and stir until it is completely dissolved. Taste and adjust the seasoning (you can add more water if it is too strong or of course, more sugar). Serve hot or iced.

1 comment:

  1. Great job and cool ideas! Definitely planning on making the teas - I have way too much cinnamon and ginger around here. Anyway, on a side note, 2 excellent tea shops here in town: Reading Terminal Market has a shop called Tea Leaf - it's been there for years. On 12th St off of Sansom, there's TBar. We go here for our City Food Tours. The owners are very knowledgeable and fantastic. Tea drinks, traditional and fun, bubble teas and infusions, lattes and the like. Great real tea selection and blends. A cool zen space, welcoming and not at all intimidating. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete