Sunday, February 21, 2010

Guinness Stout Ginger Cake

I'm catching up on posting a bit... I made this recipe last month... maybe I'll make it back to Christmas cookies next, but this one is definitely needs some attention. I love ginger. Ginger beer, ginger bread, candied ginger... I also like dark beers... and this recipe combines those two into a really satisfying cake. I think the molasses is the other key ingredient here. It adds just the right sweetness with a bit of bitterness.

I came across the Noble Pig blog back at Thanksgiving when I was looking for a make-ahead gravy recipe, because I know that we were having a smoked turkey, but I still wanted regular turkey gravy for the stuffing, potatoes, etc. I now check her blog a few times a week when I can, and this Guinness Stout Ginger Cake said "bake me" from the moment that I saw it. Of course, one of the great parts of this recipe is that it calls for 1 cup of Guinness, leaving the rest for the baker. Perfect. I may not have pictures of this one, but Cathy always has great pictures, so you can check out her photos on Noble Pig.

Make sure you read the notes on this one. As she suggests, for my size loaf pan, mine made a loaf AND a mini loaf. It also took about 10 minutes longer and was still perfectly moist and without falling in the middle.

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard about the Guinness, Chocolate and BACON Cake? I saw it online at a blog and man, does it look decadently good! It's on The City Vegetable Blog http://thecityvegetable.blogspot.com/2010/02/bacon-cupcakes-2.html All I have to say is it'd be worth a week's worth of fasting just to have a taste of this madness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Thanks, Denine! I may have to make these this weekend... If I can find enough people to share with. That definitely looks like a recipe that should be shared! I guess I'm eating salads for the rest of the week to prepare.

    ReplyDelete