Sunday, November 22, 2009

WAFFLES!

OK. Shaming myself into posting didn't work. But, Veronica said that she hadn't posted because it was my turn. That was enough (sort of. it still took another week for me to post). Don't worry (I know, you weren't), we've been cooking, baking and eating... we just haven't been posting about it. Hopefully I'll get caught up on a few recipes soon, but for right now... breakfast.

I love Joy the Baker. I love my wife a whole lot more... and I've never actually met Joy the Baker... but she's great. While not posting anything on our blog, I've been checking hers (and a few others) pretty much every day. Well, on Wednesday, she posted this! As if I weren't craving a weekend enough at that point! Well... even though I forgot to get bacon at the market yesterday, today was waffle day.

These waffles are delicious. wonderful. perfect. They're a yeast based waffle, which is absolutely amazing. They kind of remind me of my grandma's sour dough. On top of everything, they're SUPER easy and don't require more than a stir in the morning. I mean, seriously, no measuring or anything in the morning. REALLY, just a stir. You mix it up the night before, let it bubble and do it's thing for 1-1 1/2 hours and then toss it in the fridge. You pull it out of the fridge 1 hour before you want to make your waffles and give it a stir and that's it! (I took mine out of the fridge, gave it a stir, and crawled back into bed for another hour. PERFECT!)

Note, this recipe uses instant yeast. Why do I point this out? Because I didn't notice the word "instant" until I got to the point where I should add it to the recipe. I have active dry yeast, which needs to be bloomed in warm water first. Oops. Well, I threw about 2 teaspoons in about 1/3 c. water with a tablespoon of King syrup (picked up on our trip to VA last weekend), gave it about 5 minutes to do it's thing, and then threw it in. I added a little more of each of the flours to compensate for the extra liquid. Next time I'll probably hold out 1/2 cup of the warm milk and a tablespoon of brown sugar to get it started.

My apologies for posting this on Sunday, the longest point from another weekend, but at least we're heading into Thanksgiving and you could give these a try on Friday. Mmmmm.... Turkey and gravy over warm waffles. Are you making these on Friday? I might be, too.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of other food blogs--I saw one on smittenkitchen.com for salted rice krispie treats and thought of you. I may need to try these waffles. I like the idea of doing nothing the morning we make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wu-hoo! Thanks for posting again! :)

    ReplyDelete